Wednesday, July 28, 2010

eBay

A little background info:  I work full-ish time as a graphic artist at a screen printing and sign company called Pyramid Graphics.  Because we do a lot of stuff for sports teams, business tends to be kind of seasonal.  Things will be slow until football season starts up and that means less hours of work to do.  Selkie introduced Diva and I to this altered magic card stuff as fun as hell (and a way to supplement our incomes... or lack thereof).

These cards are up for auction, ending August 2nd -- SWAMP   ISLAND

The swamp is foil, which had its own challenges.  It was easy to sketch out the card using white paint, but it was also easy to accidentally wipe off everything I did after that.  Aside from being greener in person, the hair has a slight glitter to it and the frog and body scales have metallic paint in them.  I doubt I'll be doing the heavily outlines style again unless there is some sort of purpose to it. 

The island's original art is left mostly intact with the alter layered on top.  Again, it was much harder to layer paint evenly without pushing it off.  I tried to maintain the same color palette as the original art (because it is totally beautiful) and her hair is supposed to mimic the cyclones that were covered up in the process.  I meant to do some sort of tropical flower in her hair, but forgot.  It was a lot of fun to have a color palette to work with, so I am trying it again with the mountain (unfinished, so far).

I think I need to get more of the brick red color added into this one and warm up the purple, but it is definitely going in the right direction.  If i am able to do a painting session tonight, it should be finished.  I'll do another one if I can find another Zendikar land with nice colors.

So far, the hardest part about this is not getting clumpy paint and trying to align pictures with text on the damn blog.  Uhm, I guess the other hardest part is doing any subtle blending.  My medium of choice is usually a combination of marker (Prismacolor and Copic) and colored pencil (Faber-Castell).  This glorious combo makes for easy easy easy and quick blending and layering, but... the surface of the card is too slick to handle such a technique.  Might be worth experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment